Amendment 1 Will Clean Up Missouri politics
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 5, 2018
CONTACT: REED GALEN
Today, SAM, the Serve America Movement, announced its support and endorsement for Amendment 1, Missouri’s redistricting and political reform measure that will appear on this November’s General Election ballot.
“Redistricting and political reform are among our key electoral reform priorities,” SAM CEO Sarah Lenti said. “Amendment 1 will give Missourians a greater voice in Jefferson City to increase transparency and accountability in state government.”
SAM is a 527-organization with the mission to break the self-interested stranglehold of the two-party monopoly over our politics and build a new political party for a new American majority.
“We are proud that SAM, the Serve America Movement, is joining our broad, cross-partisan coalition of reformers committed to clean up Missouri politics,” said Amendment 1 spokesperson Benjamin Singer. “Together, we will put Missourians before big money, powerful lobbyists, and partisan games, and take power away from special interests.”
This fall, Missouri voters will vote on Amendment 1 to reform how the state draws its legislative boundaries and bring reform to state politics. The measure will:
Amendment 1 will increase integrity, transparency, and accountability in state government:
- eliminate almost all lobbyist gifts in the General Assembly
- require that legislative records be open to the public
- lower campaign contribution limits for state legislative candidates
- require politicians to wait two years if they want to become lobbyists
- ensure that neither political party is given an unfair advantage when new maps are drawn after the next census, by adding criteria for fairness and competitiveness of the overall map, which will be reviewed by a citizen commission and keep compact and contiguous districts
“We’re at a unique time in American politics,” said SAM Chief Strategist Reed Galen. “Across the country, reformers, independent candidates and new political movements are organizing, making their voices heard and bringing real change to our broken political system.”
SAM’s goals for 2018 and beyond include:
- Obtaining ballot access in states across the country
- Advocating for and supporting electoral reform measures across the country, including ballot measures that
- End Partisan Gerrymandering
- Repeal of “Sore Loser” Laws
- Reform and Strengthen Campaign Finance Disclosure
- Give Voters More General Election Choices
- Expand Voter Registration and Voter Access
- Remove Unnecessarily High Barriers to Ballot Access by Independents and New Parties
- Implement “Top” Four Primaries Utilizing Ranked-Choice Voting
- Recruiting and supporting candidates for political office who put people before party and are dedicated to finding objectives-based solutions to the country’s biggest problems.
SAM announces its support and endorsement of Oz Griebel and Monte Frank in their campaign for governor and lieutenant governor of Connecticut.
SAM announces its support and endorsement of Greg Orman in his campaign for Kansas governor this fall.
SAM, the Serve America Movement, announces its support and endorsement for Proposal 2, Michigan’s Voters Not Politicians redistricting reform measure that will appear on this November’s General Election ballot.
SAM is building a new political party for a new majority. Our goal is to break the self-interested stranglehold of the two entrenched parties and give back power and voice over our future, and our country, to the people.
We can’t do it without you.