New Party Supports Restoring Felon Voting Rights
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 17, 2018
CONTACT: REED GALEN
Today, SAM, the Serve America Movement, announced its support and endorsement of Florida’s Amendment 4, the Voting Rights Restoration for Felons Initiative that will appear on next month’s General Election ballot.
“We are a country that has always given people another chance,” said SAM Board Member and Miami native Suzanne Besu Truchard. “This amendment demonstrates that Florida is willing to continue to do so. It has our full and unwavering support.”
SAM is a 527-organization whose mission is to break the self-interested stranglehold of the two-party monopoly over our politics and build a new political party for a new American majority.
Nearly 850,000 Floridians, Republicans, Democrats and unaffiliated voters, signed the petition to place Amendment 4 on the ballot in November.
Amendment 4 would automatically restore the right to vote for people with prior felony convictions, except those convicted of murder or a felony sexual offense, upon completion of their sentences, including prison, parole, and probation.
“This measure will return the full measure of citizenship to Floridians who have paid their debt to society,” said SAM Chief Strategist, Reed Galen. “Restoring voting rights is an essential component of civic responsibility and opportunity.”
SAM’s goals for 2018 and beyond include:
- Obtaining ballot access in states across the country
- Advocating for and supporting electoral reform measures across the country, including ballot measures that
- End Partisan Gerrymandering
- Repeal of “Sore Loser” Laws
- Reform and Strengthen Campaign Finance Disclosure
- Give Voters More General Election Choices
- Expand Voter Registration and Voter Access
- Remove Unnecessarily High Barriers to Ballot Access by Independents and New Parties
- Implement “Top” Four Primaries Utilizing Ranked-Choice Voting
- Recruiting and supporting candidates for political office who put people before party and are dedicated to finding objectives-based solutions to the country’s biggest problems.
SAM announces its opposition to the North Carolina Voter ID Amendment that will appear on next month’s General Election ballot.
SAM, The Serve America Movement, Endorses Marshall Tuck for California State Superintendent of Public Instruction
SAM announces its support for and endorsement of Marshall Tuck for State Superintendent of Public Instruction in California.
SAM announces its support and endorsement for Steve Poizner for California Insurance Commission on next month’s General Election ballot.
SAM is building a new political party for a new majority. Our goal is to break the self-interested stranglehold of the two entrenched parties and give back power and voice over our future, and our country, to the people.
We can’t do it without you.